Treat your pup to these dog-friendly cupcakes filled with applesauce, carrots and cinnamon topped with a peanut butter cream cheese frosting!
· 1 cup flour
· 1 tsp. baking powder
· 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
· 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
· 1/2 cup vegetable oil
· 1 egg
· ¼ cup shredded carrot
· Dash of cinnamon (optional)
For the Frosting
· ½ cup cream cheese or plain greek yogurt
· ¼ cup peanut butter
Pupcake Toppings (optional)
· carrot (shredded, chopped or spiraled if you're feeling fancy)
· dog-friendly sprinkles (here is a link to our FAVORITE pupcake sprinkles)
· shredded coconut (unsweetened)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners OR spray with nonstick cooking spray if you don’t have paper liners.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, and cinnamon in a bowl. In a second bowl, mix pumpkin, applesauce, oil, egg and shredded carrots. Combine all ingredients until mixed.
3. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins until they are about 2/3 filled. Pop em’ in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until firm. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting (this is important!!)
4. Mix frosting ingredients using a hand-mixer. For perfectly frosted pupcakes #forthegram, spoon frosting into a ziplock bag and cut the tip of the bag for piping. If you aren’t concerned about the frosting looking flawless, use a knife to frost your pupcakes. We promise that your dog won’t care how you frost these!
5. Garnish if desired and let your dog lick the frosting bowl. :)
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. You can also freeze these for up to 2 months. If you freeze these pupcakes, we recommend waiting to ice them until they are thawed.
· Have a big dog? Make these in regular sized cupcake tins
· Add a few drops of natural food coloring for colored frosting
These look dangerously human friendly, so you may want to leave a note in the fridge so dog dad doesn’t try to eat them… just sayin' !
If you make these carrot cake pupcakes, be sure to let us know what you (and your dog) think! Snap a pic on Insta and tag @dogsofcharmcity so we can see!